Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Coccoleggs Coccoleggs is offline

Default Counting Charaters

In the a column there are descriptions of materials that I need to cut down
to only 60 characters.

I did find a way around it. I put 61 characters in a cell, highlighted the
whole column, then went to text to column, then i put the cursor between the
60 and 61 characters. I filtered out all the cells with more than 60
characters. Its not a formula but it works

"Sandy" wrote:

What is in cell A1?

"Coccoleggs" wrote:

That did not work. But thats for the suggestion. When I put the formula in
is showed 28 for a cell that has 10 characters.

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

With
A1: (a text value)

Try this
B1: =LEN(A1)

Does that help?

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Coccoleggs" wrote in message
How can I count the number of characters in a cell?