Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre Ron Coderre is offline

Default Counting Charaters

I hate to disagree, but if the LEN function says you have 28
characters....then you HAVE 28 characters. What are the actual contents of
that cell?

Try this to test.....
Select the cell in question
Press [F2]...to engage Edit Mode

If that cell contains a formula
Press [F9]...to convert the formula to its calculated value.

Now count the characters displayed in the formula bar.
Are there blanks that you hadn't considered?

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2003, WinXP

"Coccoleggs" wrote:

That did not work. But thats for the suggestion. When I put the formula in
is showed 28 for a cell that has 10 characters.

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

With
A1: (a text value)

Try this
B1: =LEN(A1)

Does that help?

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Coccoleggs" wrote in message
How can I count the number of characters in a cell?