jjjJackieCalifornia

Thanks, but I need them formatted as numbers not text ...

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

You can create a mirror copy with help formulas and then copy it and paste
special as values,
I have done that with several thousands of records, to get a zip code
(assuming 5 digit) to text, use

=TEXT(Sheet1!A1,"00000")

then just drag copy across/down as long as needed, won't take long
finally just copy the help sheet and paste special as values in place or
over the old ones

Peo Sjoblom

"jjjJackieCalifornia" wrote
in message ...
Hi,
Sorry, but that isn't a realistic solution. This document will be used by

large number of individuals/departments ... I cannot expect that they will
all be able to "remember" to do this ... however it does work and if it

were
just me I would be satisfied with the answer. However, I see it as a

bandaid
to my problem. I do appreciate your answer though.
Thank you.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Don't use the leading 0 when you're doing your find.

Excel is trying to find the value you type in. And if you look at the

formula
bar with your leading 0 zipcode cell selected, you won't see that

leading 0.

jjjJackieCalifornia wrote:

I have a large excel worksheet - zip codes, cities, states, area codes

.... I
need to be able to sort as well as find. Problem comes in with states

that
have zips starting with zero. I can get them to appear correctly as

custom or
special, but not able to do cntrl-find and bring up ... I can't

believe I
can't figure this out ...

--

Dave Peterson