Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JE McGimpsey JE McGimpsey is offline

Default Complex Lookup Question - Clarification?????

This uses an approximate match (hence the TRUE) on the rows starting
below the header row in the second column of Table2 (in the OFFSET()
function, the first 1 offsets the rows by 1, and the second 1 offsets
the columns by 1). The last 1 in the OFFSET() limits the Match to 1
column.

The +1 at the end is to account for having offset the lookup column in
the MATCH by one (the header) row when indexing the original table.

In article ,
bevpike wrote:

I understand most of the formula from the response to my original posting
(see orig posting and response below) except for the following:

MATCH(B4,OFFSET(Table2,1,1,,1),TRUE)+1

How does this find the row where the age in Table 1 is between Age_lower and
Age_upper in Table2? What does +1 do?