Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre Ron Coderre is offline

Default Count the unique entries in a column of data

Have you considered using a Pivot Table?

First...Put column headings above the data (eg Type, Amount)

Then...from the Excel Main Menu: <Data<Pivot Table
Use: Excel .......Click [Next]
Select your data .......Click [Next]

Click the [Layout] button
ROW: Drag the Type field here
DATA: Drag the Amount field here
If it doesn't list as Sum of Amount...dbl-click it and set it to SUM
Click [OK]
Select where you want the Pivot Table.......Click [Finish]

That will list each Type and the corresponding sum.

To refresh the Pivot Table, just right click it and select Refresh Data

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Remacricky" wrote in message

I have:

Col A Col B
Dog 5
Cat 3
Boy 2
Dog 3
Cat 9
Boy 1

How can I "filter" this list down so it shows that I have:

Col A Col B
Dog 8
Cat 12
Boy 3

I need to bulk unique entries, while adding their counts (sum) together.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.