Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
leotoni leotoni is offline

Default How can I evaluate whether a trend is positive or negative?

That did the trick! Thank you very much for the help!

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

In A1 thru B4:

1 100
2 200
3 300
4 100

in another cell:

=SLOPE(B1:B4,A1:A4)

POSITIVE is positive
NEGATIVE is negative
STABLE is "very close" to zero
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200743

"leotoni" wrote:

I am trying to create an IF formula that returs POSITIVE, NEGATIVE, or STABLE
depending on the trend found in a data series. Does anybody know how can I
evaluate a data series for a positive/negative/stable trend? For instance, I
have the following data set:

MONTH January,February,March,April
SALES 100,200,300,100

If I use a chart to analyze this data, I can visually identify it is a
positive trend. Can I get that simple answer using a formula, rather than a
chart?

Thank you!