Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
leotoni leotoni is offline

Default How can I evaluate whether a trend is positive or negative?

SLOPE did the trick! Thank you very much for your help, DanGSB!

"DanGSB" wrote:

Leotoni,
assign 1,2,3,..... to the months and have an array with the sales figures.
There's SLOPE function which gives the x-angle of the data series. Depending
on value you construct an IF statement so that user gets the STABLE... etc
info you want.
HTH
--
Dan GSB
Asset Management - Rio

"leotoni" wrote:

I am trying to create an IF formula that returs POSITIVE, NEGATIVE, or STABLE
depending on the trend found in a data series. Does anybody know how can I
evaluate a data series for a positive/negative/stable trend? For instance, I
have the following data set:

MONTH January,February,March,April
SALES 100,200,300,100

If I use a chart to analyze this data, I can visually identify it is a
positive trend. Can I get that simple answer using a formula, rather than a
chart?

Thank you!