Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
joel joel is offline

Default Range Names convert to Cell References

Was the option ever set :Use R1C1 reference Style? Maybe soemthing from this
being set is still left over in the workbook. Try manually changing a cell
location the has the wrong style to normal style. Save the wrokbook and see
if the R1C1 reappears. Also try to move the modified file to the lap top.

I have had problems with excel un-remembering items. I have links in files
that havve been removed but when I open the worksheet it still asks me to
update the links.

"AlanC" wrote:

Joel, Agreed. The only difference I can see is that the laptop at home and
all the ones in the past ran on a version of Windows, currently XP, and the
application at work is running on a server using Windows Server 2003. But if
that were the problem, then I'd be able to copy the files to the XP laptop
and the problem should go away. It doesn't. Two sets of files on the same
laptop, one created in Windows XP the other Windows Server. One retains the
external range names in formulas, the other does not. I'm at a loss. But
you're thinking along the same lines as I, that it has to be a setting
somewhere and it's sticking with the file when its moved.

"Joel" wrote:

I would compare all the option on your PC at work with your lap top to see if
there arre other differences. I didn't see any other option that would give
your symptoms.

"AlanC" wrote:

Thanks for the response Joel, but that only converted the cell reference from
A1 format to R1C1 format. The files still replace the range name with a cell
reference when edited.

"Joel" wrote:

There is an option in the Tools Menu - Option - General Tab - Use R1C1
reference Style

"AlanC" wrote:

For years I've successfully built Excel models that use range names defined
in one workbook in formulas in other workbooks. I.E.; the range
"SalesSummary" in SalesDetail.xls is used in Income.xls in the formula
"Index(SalesDetail.xls!SalesSummary,0,Columns($B$2 :B$2)". The benefits is
that you can do virtually anything to the structure of SalesDetail.xls, that
doesn't change the dimensions of the named range, and Income.xls will always
pull out the right data.

I started a new job at a new company and every time I build an external
range name formula, it converts to the R1C1 format. I.E. the formula above
becomes "Index([SalesDetail.xls]Sales!B29:N29,0,Columns($B$2:B$2)" when
"Sales Summary" is the range B29:N29 on sheet Sales.

When I enter the formula using the external reference range name, IF the
"linked to" file is closed the range name remains a part of the formula. But
then if either the formula is edited with the "linked to" file open OR,
horror of all horrors, if the "linked to" file is already open when the
"linked from" file is opened, all external references are redefined to cell