Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default XL2007 - Axis Scaling Dialog problem

I have a spreadsheet that uses the following sequence to scale the y
axis of an X-Y scatter graph with lines drawn between points from VBA
and it works perfectly in all previous versions of Excel. It fails
with XL2007 rather catastrophically. The main spreadsheet was imported
from XL2003.

I have looked in the KB and archives here and not found any other
reports of this problem so I don't know if it is something peculiar
about this particular installation or what. It is reproducible in a
toy chart in pure XL2007.

The failing lines are;

ActiveChart.Axes(xlSecondary).Select
ok = Application.Dialogs(xlDialogScale).Show

The initial error is 1004 - Application defined or object defined
error

Running it a second time gives Runtime Error "-2147467259"
Method 'select' of object 'Axis' failed
(this may be because the Axis is already selected)

Attempts to save the original file then result in XL falling over in a
big heap.

I have retested it with the canonical toy program with a 4 point X-Y
scatter chart and it fails the same way on the xlDialogScale, but it
does not give the weird secondary error for selecting the axis or
crash out soon after.

xlDialogScale has value 87 according to the XL2007 help system.

I can't think what else to try. Thanks for any enlightenment,
suggestions or work arounds. It seems a bit gross to have to define
your own dialogue for axis scaling because the built in one has become
horribly broken :(

Thanks,
Martin Brown