Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jake Jake is offline

Default Looking up data with varying Lookup_value

I'm trying to produce a report which summarises data by country, when the raw
data is given by country - region viz:

Australia - Canberra 765.4
Australia - Melbourne 18796.3
Australia - Mobile 9290.3
Australia - Satellite 3.4
Australia - Sydney 29872

I need a function which will look up all the column B values where column A
contains 'Australia' and then sum them in a single 'Australia' cell. The sum
part is not so hugely important, I know I can work around this, but the key
function is to be able to isolate a range of data based on part of the
adjoining cell text. I can currently only make VLOOKUP isolate the value
corresponding to the 'highest' value in column A containing 'Australia' using
the following:

=VLOOKUP("Australia*",'Client Input'!A:B,2)

I think I'm barking up the right tree but I'm stuck for ideas. Please help!