Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernard Liengme Bernard Liengme is offline

Default Limitation on MID function? - very large string

I would try Data | Text to columns to extract the bytes I needed.
Try it and come back for more
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Aaron Z" wrote in message
I have a cell that contains several thousand characters of fixed-length
data.
I've been able to parse out various values using a file layout that I
refer
to for location and length within this cell (the thousands of characters
are
for several hundred fields, so I don't want to parse them manually...
especially since I need only a handful of values). I don't seem to be
getting data however for characters past character 332. The data cell
(A1)
is able to hold all of the 2,700 characters, but the MID function seems to
be
unable to parse out characters beyond a certain character location.. even
if
its just 2 characters from say characters 1,000 - 1,001.

Is there a limitation to how many characters the MID function will look
through?

I have thousands of these cells, all with data in the same character
positions, so making this formula work would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.