Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips Bob Phillips is offline

Default sumif-sumproduct

SP tends to be marginally faster than say

=SUM(IF(...

--
HTH

Bob

"yshridhar" wrote in message
Thanks to all
What is the resulatant speed when i make them array by incorporating
another
condition?
Sridhar

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

SUMIF is much quicker, SUMPRODUCT whilst not being an array function acts
like one, and suffers the overheads of that.

See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html for a detailed
explanation. If you remove it it won't work as explained. And yes it can
be
used anywhere, such as

Try

=107

and

=--(107)

and see the difference.

--
HTH

Bob

addy)

"yshridhar" wrote in message
Hello everybody
Which is more advantegious sumif or sumproduct in terms of execution
speed?
the following are my formulae both are giving same result.
=SUMif(SCHOOL!$J$1:$J$950,$B$1,SCHOOL!$V$1:$V$950)
=SUMPRODUCT(--(SCHOOL!$J$1:$J$950=$B$1),(SCHOOL!$V$1:$V$950))
My second question:
What is the significance of "--" in the formula? When i remove it the
formula results in error. Can it be use with other formulae?
Thanks for all
Sridhar