Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Most efficient method in Excel? Mouse or Keyboard keys?

I thought the V in ctrl-v was taken from moVe.

And for ctrl-x being used for Cut, I think the X is supposed to look like
scissors.

James Silverton wrote:

Ron wrote on Sat, 8 Sep 2007 23:06:29 -0400:

RC If you want to shun the keyboarding techniques on
RC principle, that's your prerogative.

??
RC This is my opinion:
RC The mouse is easier for exploring menu structures to find
RC the commands I'm interested in, but slow and inaccurate
RC for speed work. Once I know where they are....if I have
RC to repeat the same command many times (or even a
RC few)...I'll generally use the keyboard shortcuts or
RC navigate with the keyboard using the underlined menu
RC characters.
??
?? Are you kidding or so immersed in the later 20th century
?? that you are prepared to learn arcane irrational key
?? strokes?
??

Sorry, I'll admit that I sound a bit bad tempered there but,
even if I do know a number of them, arbitrary key strokes are
things that sometimes irk me. I can admit CTRL-C for "copy",
CTRL-X perhaps for "extract" but why should "paste" be CTRL-V,
cancel be ALT-Z and ALT-X be "convert hex unicode to symbol"?
The original programmers for Excel and Word must really have
loved Word Star :-)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: