Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RagDyeR RagDyeR is offline

Default Random Number Assignment

With your names in A1 to A76, enter the Rand function in an out-of-the-way
location, say Z1:

=RAND()

And copy down to Z76.

Now, enter this formula in B1:

=INDEX(ROW($A$1:$A$76),RANK(Z1,$Z$1:$Z$76))

And copy down to B76.

This will give you a random list of numbers next to your name list, without
any duplication.

EACH time you hit <F9, you'll get a new random list.
--
HTH,

RD

"japc90" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a list of names and I want to assign a number (1-76) to each of
these names. But I do not want duplicate numbers. I tried RAND and
RANDBETWEEN but these formulas are not dependent on the previous
formulas so duplicate numbers are being generated. Any suggestion?

Thank you in advance!