Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom Peo Sjoblom is offline

Default Pivot Table sorts date as Alpha, not as Date

It can still be seen as text, one of the most common problems in Excel is
import from other programs seen as text, what happens if you use a formula
like

=ISTEXT(A2)

where A2 is one of the offending cells, if it returns TRUE it is seen as
text.
You could format an empty cell and date, copy it and select an offending
cell and do editpaste special and select add, that might convert the cell
to number format

Peo Sjoblom

"Jimbo213" wrote in message

Good idea but not the issue. Raw Data is exported from a Lotus Notes
view.
Notes controls the format on the field as MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM:SS AM on every
value.
--
Thanks for your reply & assistance. Please try again.
Jimbo213

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote:

I wonder if you have some data in your source that's not numeric and is
being
seen as text.

Barb Reinhardt

"Jimbo213" wrote:

To level-set: I am an experienced excel + pivot table user, not a
beginner.
Something strange is happening to my pivot table that I've not seen
before.

I have created one pivot table and "date reported" is the row field of
the
pivot table. The input data is mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss AM and formatted
mm/dd/yyyy.
I am using other page and column fields like a normal pivot table.
Everything is fine ... date sorts correct as expected. Graph looks
great.

I then right-clicked the tab and copied to a new tab ... to make a
different
underlying pivot table so as to create a different graph

I did this about 10 times. 1 data tab, 10 pivot tables, 10 charts.
[Yes - the spreadsheet is huge: now 30 mb]

By the way, the date-reported field is grouped differently on the 10
pivot
tables.
[year-month; days-7; days-14 ... each pivot table is different]

Now the date-reported on some of the pivot tables is sorting as if it
was a
text field. ex: 01/02/07, 01/03/06. Strangely, some pivot tables have
changed to a different date format. ex: 14-Mar, 21,-Mar.

I have tried to change the format and it won't budge.
I have tried to sort manual, ascending, descending ... it won't budge.

Is my spreadsheet just too big?

Any ideas?