Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

Default Ensuring 3 cells do NOT match

Using the validation concept from jim thompson
select D7:AH7
data-validation-custom
=not(And(D7=$C7,or(D27=$C27,D51=$C51)))
select D27:AH27
validation formula
=not(And(D27=$C27,or(D7=$C7,D51=$C51)))
and for D51:AH51
=not(And(D51=$C51,or(D27=$C27,D7=$C7)))

"GIdunno" wrote:

Thanks BJ, yes I have the flag row at the bottom of the schedule. I use it
to ensure I have 3 people on every crew, one qualified person per position.
As I said, it's a complicated schedule, and these three are not certified to
work a shift together.
They are all normally on different crews, but sometimes we have to temporary
fill someone (illness for example) with a body from another crew.

The flag row is so far down on the schedule that it could easily be missed.

"bj" wrote:

do you have three conditional format on all cells.
one way to do it would be to add a Flag row.
in the cell in the flag row, you could use colorlike red or a symbol to
indicate something needs attention, such as not enough people scheduled.
too many people scheduled or the wrong group scheduled
use yellow for a warning. sombody scheduled for to many hours or too few etc
and green as everything OK
you vould expand it to have a numerical code to indicate which items are
cauing the light.
"GIdunno" wrote:

I'm back with another problem :-)
I work a crew schedule; and I have 3 people who cannot work a shift
together. I need something that will NOT allow me to put them on a shift
together. We identify our shifts by D, S, or M (days, swings, mids) So I
cannot have Buck, Earle, or Small working a shift together. (weird rules
about these three)
I can't use conditional formatting for this because I already have used all
3 conditions for another issue.

Is there a way I can "raise a flag" if I schedule 2 or more of them on the
same shift?

Here's an idea of my schedule
Earle is in C7, Buck is in C27, and Small is in C51. If I were putting day
shift together in column D, then D7, D27, and/or D51 cannot match.

Any ideas O' Smart Excel people?