Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GIdunno GIdunno is offline

Default Ensuring 3 cells do NOT match

Thanks for your help, but that won't work. I already have the counters (both
of them) in use, to ensure I have three on shift (countif) and to ensure I
have all three positions filled (it's a pretty indepth spreadsheet)

I need to focus on these three people only.
What about a conditional format in the cells containing their names (C7 for
instance) (there is no conditional formatting there already) Can I fix it so
that if cells D7:AH7 equal D27:AH27 or D51:AH51, then cell C7 (contains
Earle's name) is highlighted?
I haven't figured out the conditional formatting other than the very basics.

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

If the shift data is in A1 thru A3 then:

=MAX(COUNTIF(A1:A3,"D"),COUNTIF(A1:A3,"S"),COUNTIF (A1:A3,"M"))

will return 2 or 3 if you have a problem

alternatively

=(A1=A2)+(A2=A3)+(A1=A3)

will return non-zero if you have a problem
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200743

"GIdunno" wrote:

I'm back with another problem :-)
I work a crew schedule; and I have 3 people who cannot work a shift
together. I need something that will NOT allow me to put them on a shift
together. We identify our shifts by D, S, or M (days, swings, mids) So I
cannot have Buck, Earle, or Small working a shift together. (weird rules
about these three)
I can't use conditional formatting for this because I already have used all
3 conditions for another issue.

Is there a way I can "raise a flag" if I schedule 2 or more of them on the
same shift?

Here's an idea of my schedule
Earle is in C7, Buck is in C27, and Small is in C51. If I were putting day
shift together in column D, then D7, D27, and/or D51 cannot match.

Any ideas O' Smart Excel people?