jamesg-fid

thanks! this works for peoples names.....

Is this adaptable to cells that contain text rather than a persons first and
last names ? For instance, would I be able to tailor this to a cell that
contained a company name (rather than a persons name). So the cell could
already be populated with, say, 3 words and I needed to add on a further 2
words ? or perhaps the company name was 2, or 4 words and I needed to add
on 1, or 4 words ?

"Simon Shaw" wrote:

change the vlookup(A1,myTable,Column,range_lookup) to

vlookup(left(A1,find(" ",A1)-1),myTable,...)

assuming you have all cells as

"firstname lastname"

Simon

"jamesg-fid" wrote:

I have many vlookups referencing cell A1/2/3.....with the text: "firstname".
I now need to add to these cells: "last name".

If I add this text, the vlookups search other data tables for "firstname
lastname" and return errors. How can I amend the referenced cells
(A1/2/3...) so that the vlookups only use "firstname" and disregard the added
text ?

Tks