Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Skimmer Skimmer is offline

Default Test cell interior color by worksheet function?

Frank,

My understanding of CELL("color",C6) worksheet function is that is looks to
see what the content text coloration is - binary answer. If it's property
specifies colored for negative numeric value, then it returns a "1". If no
colorization is specified for negative numeric value, then it returns "0"...
This doesn't address cell interior color(shading /patterns). Perhaps
elaboration by example... trying to accomplish:

If the cell solid interior color is a pale green, then I want to treat it as
"Type A" and look to see what the contents are. The contents will either be
alphabetic or numeric, using an "IS" worksheet function will distinguish
which. Alphabetic content defaults to highest value assigned a "Type A"
event. If the content is numeric, then it will be used to calculate a
fraction of the default highest value.

Key:
HHH = function I'm looking for (for cell color, and using your cell
reference "C6")
PPG = palette pale-green code
Full_Value = 100
So, my cell-checking formula would look something like this:

=if(HHH(C6) = PPG, if(ISNUMBER(C6), C6/Full_Value , Full_Value), 0)

I'm trying to avoid using macros, as some recipients of the workbook will
not be able to use them.

R,
Skimmer

"Frank Pytel" wrote:

=CELL("color",C6)

This is a volitale formula. It states that it works best with numbers for
calculations. I cant seem to get it to work with an if() statement.

Maybe you could come up with another qualifier. What are you basing your
conditional formatting on. If you were to use this as you qualifier it would
probably be easier to use in your calculations.

God Bless

Frank Pytel

http://groups.google.com/group/excel...mming?lnk=iggc

"Skimmer" wrote:

I'm trying to conditionally test a cell interior color, by worksheet function
(not VBA). I intend to use the responses to permit varied numerical
consequences... I've seen no Excel Help addressal on this, just on text
(contents) coloration.