Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Toppers Toppers is offline

Default Count letter string, e.g. h/EL/p

..... why do I make life difficult!!

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 10:12:07 -0700, Lee wrote:

I want to count how many times a string of letters occurs in each row in a
column. Column A has 1000 rows with 1 word in each row (1000 most frequent
English words). e.g. I would like to count how many words contain the string
of letters "ee" (sEEn).

I also want to count how frequent a string such as "A, any letter, E" (mAdE)
occurs.

Thanks

Lee

Just use the COUNTIF worksheet function with wild cards if you want a case
insensitive count.

e.g:

=COUNTIF(A:A,"*ee*")
=COUNTIF(A:A,"*A?E*)