Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Default Looking up a name in a list and returning only the column with

Don't think it is possible. It has to be a single type (eg: Chair) or a
single concat string (eg: Chair-Art) as the combination of col headers to
values which are not blank is unique to each.
--
Max
Singapore
"raphiel2063" wrote:
Max

That looks like it will almost do the trick. The problem I have is that the
actual table doesn't just filter out one item like "chair". In fact the
'filtered' category is a type with sub-catergories like below. I want to only
take the chair information and then apply the formula's you suggested.

Type Model Room 1 Room 2 Room 3 Room 4 Room 5
Chair Art 1 1
Chair science 5
1 1
Table Art 1 1 1
Table Science 1 1

Is it possible to do such a thing? I.e. filter horizontally then vertically?

I can't get my head around it and am lost at the moment.