Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
UlvaZell UlvaZell is offline

Default Vlookups

Thanks Alan and Roger. The Index function worked exactly the way in which I
needed it to. I was even able to link it into the control buttons so that
changing the periods for reporting is now automated....

"UlvaZell" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that calculates an income statement for a selected
reporting period for various entities. The period is selected using a combo
button from the forms tools which then works in conjunction with a table to
populate a range of cells for Vlookup references. The Vlookups then populate
from a table that has 12 months of data into a table that only has the
current period and the YTD for the same period. SUMIF's then summarize the
selected data into financial statement line item categories.

The problem is that because of the size of the spreadsheet, there are about
60,000 Vlookups that update whenever the period is changed. The recalc time
is about 2 minutes. I'm certain there must be some other way to select
specific columns of data from my main table without using Vlookups, but every
possibility I've thought of has not worked.

Several options get me as far as populatiing data, but not to the point of
automating the population of the data. I guess what I'm looking for is the
functionality of a Vlookup without the processing drawback. Any ideas?