Earl Kiosterud

Jim,

The OR is necessary to reduce the results of looking at B2:B65536="NY" to a
single TRUE (at least one was TRUE), or FALSE (all were FALSE). If we
wrote:

=IF(B2:B65536 = "NY", ...

it would want to give us an array of answers, for each of B2 through B65536.
Array formulas can give an array for a result. In this case, we'd see only
the results of the first one (B2). By reducing them all to one TRUE or
FALSE with the OR, we don't get an array for an answer -- we get one TRUE or
FALSE.

That's my story but I might not stick to it.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"Jim May" wrote in message
Neat function Earl -- what with the OR() and a single argument...
How so?

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote in message
AK,

An easy way is to put this in a cell:

=IF(OR(B2:B65536="NY"),"Talk to Bob", "")

Enter as an array formula (Use Ctrl - Shift - Enter, not just Enter).

It's best put at the top of the worksheet in the freeze pane area, if you
have one, so it doesn't get scrolled off the screen.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"AK" wrote in message
Based on the entry in a cell in a column (B), how would a message box
appear
based on the entry.

Example:
If B2 = "NY", message box would appear, "Talk to John"
or if B5000 = "NY" same message would appear

Message box should appear for "NY" in the column and not a specific

cell.

Thank you in advance