Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nnylg Nnylg is offline

Default Possible to "Lock" border lines?

Thanks Jim;

I tried this, but didn't solve my problem.

What I'm trying to do is create a critical path spreadsheet, that lists
projects and a date range. I show how eaxh projext relates to the date range
by using patterns. To add a pattern to cells, I use the paintbrush to pick up
the pattern from cells that have it, and highlight cells that are to get it.
The destination cells inherit everything from the origin cells, including the
border lines.

Possible to do this without involving the border lines - somehow put the
border lines in the "back ground"?

Apologies - I've been using Excel a long time (Lotus, Quattro Pro, etc.)
but am entirely self taught so am probably not using it the way it is meant
to be used.

Regards,

Dennis

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

My favorite way to do something like this is (if I am not using conditional
formatting for something else) is to use conditional formatting.

Select the Top row cells where you would like the border. Select
Format|Conditional Format
Change from Cell value is to Formual is. Add the formula
=true
click the format button and add the top border.

This method does not require you to protect the sheet and it is relatively
safe from user interaction.

--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Nnylg" wrote:

Is it possible to "lock" cell border lines so that they are not erased or
modified when (for example) a pattern is cleared from the cell?

I'd like to set up a page with border lines, then lock the border lines so
that they are not effected by modifications to the cell - possible?

Much thanks,

Dennis