Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Beth at the Chamber Beth at the Chamber is offline

Default zip code with mail merge

I am wondering why Office 2007 made this so complicated and if there is a way
to save this as the default field name. My officemates and I do mail merges
very often and this is an extra step instead of an advancement of technology.
Thank you for solving this mystery.
Beth

"BoniM" wrote:

The first zero is getting dropped because it isn't really there - your cell
has just been formatted to show one. To format your merge field so it will
do the same thing - open your mail merge document, press Alt+F9 to show field
codes, for your zip code field, add the following switch after the field name
and before the bracket:
\# 00000
if your zip code field name is zip - it would look like this:
{ MERGEFIELD zip \# 00000}

Alt+F9 again to hide the field codes - when merge data is displayed, you
should have your leading zero's back.

"Booklisa" wrote:

the 1st zero gets dropped from zip codes when address spreadsheet is used for
mail merge.