Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Rollback history

Actually, when you save a file, excel saves the workbook as a new file--with a
funny name. If that save is successful, excel will delete the old file (or
rename it to its backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and rename the funny
named file to the original's name.

So an undelete/recovery program may still have a chance to recover that original
file.

Saruman wrote:

I believe the original post said that data IN the file was deleted. Not the
original file.

Therefore, recovery software wont help because the file, less the lost data,
is STILL sat in the same place on the Hard Drive.

Sorry, your information is gone forever.

--
Saruman

All Outgoing Mail Scanned By Symantec Antivirus 10
"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
You seemed to misunderstand MartinW's description.

When you delete any file, the space it occupies on the harddrive is marked

as
available. If no other process writes over this space, then you may have

chance to recover that file. If you continue to use the computer, then

your
operating system will write data whereever it wants--maybe over that

space,
maybe not.

It has nothing to do with the file being corrupt when it was deleted. It

has
everything with the space that the original file occupied being

overwritten.

You may want to search google for undelete software (some free, some

commercial)
for the next time.

UrbanCool wrote:

the computer has been in use since this happened, I still have other

duties
to complete, and wasn't actually aware that there was a problem until

today.

The last time the document was in use was last week and like i said, i
wasn't aware of the problem.
That really isn't an excuse for not posting links, you could have psted

them
and then said, DO NOT USE ON THIS COMPUTER and followed it with a valid,
constructive reason.

Anyway, it's no use... i've had enough, i'm going to have to rebuild the
file from scratch.
The file itself wasn't corrupt, so recovery software isn't really a

solution.

& the computer has been in use for nearly a week, so.... thank you to

all
who replied

"MartinW" wrote:

The reason I didn't post links is because, in this situation, the most
important
thing to do is to stop using the computer.

I tried to emphasise that by the use of caps.

Despite what you seem to think I was being helpful.

As you explore this problem in Google you will discover that my
suggestions were sound.

Have a Nice Day
Martin

"UrbanCool" wrote in message
again! the file is not corrupt...

why not post links to what you are on about?!
actually, forget it.... i'll rebuild the file... its less hassle

than
having
to deal with ppl (MartinW) who don't actually help.

Thank you to Zone (James), your post was actually structured and

helpful.

"MartinW" wrote:

what the hell?

can anybody help me?

YES! There is lots of help on google but the SINGLE most IMPORTANT
step is to STOP using that computer.

When you delete something from a computer it is not actually
deleted, the place on the hard drive where it is stored is
simply marked as available for rewriting, and the CPU
will reuse that space for whatever it sees fit (sometimes at the
very next oppurtunity).

I will repeat what I said!!!

STOP USING THE COMPUTER NOW!!

When you search this problem on another computer
you will discover the details of what I am talking about.

HTH
Martin

--

Dave Peterson