Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Duke Carey Duke Carey is offline

Default Match function won't recognize values unless I type them

It appears Niek didn't paste in his usual information, so...

When you paste something from another source, whether web page, database
query, or even Word, Excel may see the value as a text string, even if it
looks like a number. One way to deal with it iis to copy a blank cell,
select the pasted values, and use Edit-Paste Special-Add-Values-OK to
force Excel to treat them as numbers

If you have pasted text values, names for instance, then there may be
non-breaking spaces before or after the text values. In that case, use Find
& Replace. Search for the non-breaking space by clicking in the Find what
box, holding down the ALt key and USING THE NUMERIC KEYPAD to type 0160.
Replace it with nothing

See if one of those approaches does the trick

"Niek Otten" wrote:

Here's my standard answer for VLOOKUP(). Many of the reasons for not finding something are the same for MATCH()

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel