Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dana DeLouis Dana DeLouis is offline

Default Excel 2007 Solver Internal Error When Generating Answer Report

Hi. Glad it worked. I am not sure why the corruption.
I have been working a little on trying to figure out why my subroutine that
loads the Solver Add-Inn no longer works. I cannot figure it out. Again,
it's a Excel 2007 issue.

BTW I did have to lower the security level in order to run the subroutine
on the second spreadsheet.

If you are interested in Macros, you may be interested in the following:

You can have a "Digital Signature" that allows you to put the security level
back to high.
Go to
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12

And run.
SELFCERT.EXE

Type your name in the box.

When working on a workbook with Macros,
go to the vba editor and select:

Tools | Digital Signatures
and choose your name.

Save & close your workbook.

You should now be able to re-open your workbook without the security
message.

--
HTH :)
Dana DeLouis

"Don S." wrote in message
First, thaank you for your help. I loaded your first subroutine and it
worked
as you described. After generating the reports, I saved the spreadsheet,
brought it back in and then was able to resolve the problem and
re-generate
the reports.

I brought in a new spreadsheet, ran Solver and the error was back as I
expected. So I loaded/ran your first subroutine and it fixed up that
spreadsheet.

So as of right now, I see how to fix the problem, one spreadsheet at a
time,
which way ahead of where I was.

I am not sure what or why your other subroutines are doing. I did not try
them. Ideally, it would be nice to run a subroutine once per session and
then
at least for that session of Excel all of the spreadsheets used would run
properly. Is that what your other subroutines are doing?

BTW I did hacve to lower the security level in order to run the subroutine
on the second spreadsheet.

Don S.

"Dana DeLouis" wrote:

Hi. Ok.
1. From Solver's worksheet, Hit Alt + F11 to bring up vba editor.
2. Vba Editor Menu...Insert | Module
3. Paste a copy of Code into this module.

4. Vba Editor Menu... Tools | References... and select "Solver"
(This allows Solver to run)
5. Select anywhere in the code, and Hit F5 (Runs the Macro)

Save workbook.

This may not work, but... who knows. :~
There are certain things in Solver that require no spaces in the workbook
name, that's why I suggested it earlier.
Hopefully, this will spark an interest in learning Vba.
--
HTH :)
Dana DeLouis

"Don S." wrote in message
Hi Dana,

That is strange and I would really like to adopt that as a workaround,
but
know absolutely nothing about recording, writing or using vba macros.
Could
you walk me throught it or point me to a reference that I could use?

I would realy appreciate any help beyonfd he great help you have been
with
this post.

Don S.
"Dana DeLouis" wrote:

Don. I was about to say I haven't seen this with xl 2007. However,
I've
not used it much with xl 2007 yet.
I just loaded a very basic / simple Solver model, solved it, and asked
for
an Answer report. I also got the "Internal Error" message.
I tried all combinations of Reports, and got the same error.
With the Solver dialog box closed, I ran the following vba macro.
Weird...it generated all 3 reports with no problem.

Sub SolverRunOnly()
SolverSolve True
SolverFinish 1, Array(1, 2, 3)
End Sub

I cleaned up the worksheets, deleted reports, and Saved the workbook.
When I re-opened the workbook, I had no further problems.

Thinking that Solver's main internal sheet might be corrupt, I ran the
following on another Solver workbook, and it seemed to help.

Sub Solver_Reset_Sheet()
SOLVER.Auto_open
End Sub

I believe yoiu can also run the following as I think internally it
does
the
same thing. (The code is a lttle weird, and probably a leftover from
years
ago...)

Sub Solver_Reset_Sheet_Old()
Dim B As Boolean
' A test, but actually doesn't call procedure....weird.
B = SOLVER.AutoOpened
End Sub

Again, just throwing out some ideas.
I'd be interested to hear any feedback. :0

--
HTH :)
Dana DeLouis

"Don S." wrote in message
Dana,

I thought I had tried that, but I will try it again. Thanks.

Don S.

"Dana DeLouis" wrote:

Just throwing this out...
If you have a space in the workbook name, experiment by renaming
your
workbook without any spaces.
Also, don't call your subroutine "Main" if it applies.
Again...just some ideas.

--
Dana DeLouis
Windows XP & Excel 2007

"Don S." wrote in message
MSM<

No. I still have the problem. I am not sure where else to look
for
the
answer. I will be nedding this capability for a course I teach
that
is
coming
up very soon now.

If you find an answer independent of this thread, I would really
appreciate
a note here. I will do the same.

I can't believe we are the only two that are being affected by
this!?

Don S.
"MSM" wrote:

Hi Don,

I am having the exact same problem.have you found a solution for
it?

Thanks for your help,
MSM

"Don S." wrote:

Hello,
I am running Excel 2007 under Vista. After running Solver, it
reaches a
solution. When I try to save either an Answer Report or a
Sensitivity
Report,
the following message appears "Solver: An unexpected internal
error
occurred,
or the available memory was exhausted". Opening the same
spreadsheet
in
Excell 2003 running under Win XP works properly.

Researching the problem, I found reference to the same error
wriiten
in
October 2000 in Article 173393. However, the workaround does
not
seem
work. There are no merged cells on my worksheet, and there are
no
other
sheets with the name Answer Report etc as discussed in the
srticle.

Since it works as it is supposed to in Excel 2003/Win XP, what
do
do
or
what am I missing? Hopefully, this is the right group.

TIA

Don S.