Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
nick nick is offline

Default Adding Dashes to a 25 digit alphanumeric cell

Thanks for the quick reply, Kevin.

I tried that string before I posted to this forum, but it does not work.
Maybe since it's alphanumeric?

Any other ideas, or maybe I'm not doing something right?

Nick

"Kevin B" wrote:

Select your numeric range and right click to activate the short cut menu.
SElect Format Cells and click the Number Tab. Scroll down the Category panel
and select Custom and then place the following mash in the Type field:

#####-#####-#####-#####-#####
--
Kevin Backmann

"Nick" wrote:

I have a column of 30-5k consisting of a 25 digit alphanumeric code. I need
to reformat these to have dashes every 5 characters. example:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Is there a custom format string that I can use to do this automatically? My
right arrow key is getting worn down here, :P

Thanks in advance,

Nick