Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Harlan Grove[_2_] Harlan Grove[_2_] is offline

Default Find Numeric data

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote...
You said the cells are formatted for 2 decimal places, parentheses for
negative values and thousands separators.... you did this using Format
Cells, right? If so, in Edit/Find, set Look In for Values, do **not**
check mark either match option but click the Format button and choose the
same cell formatting options you used on the cells originally. Typing
79.00 in the Find What field and repeatedly clicking the Find Next button
should take you to the cells you want.

"RobWN" wrote in message

I have already tried what you suggest but it didn't work.

I have a column of cells containing dollar amounts, formatted, as I
mentioned, as Numbers, two decimal places with a "," thousands separator.
In this column are cells such as 79.00, (79.00), 1,079.00, 179.00
etc.etc..

With the "Look In" parameter set as "Values";
If I use a search argument of 79.00 - I get all occurrences of the value
(all the above examples).
If simply 79 is used it gets hits on any occurrence of 79 (100.79-for ex)
In either case, if I match entire contents - I get nothing.

With the following in A1:A8 (cell contents, i.e., .Formula properties rather
than .Text properties),

0
0.79
1.79
79
79.01
179
1079
1079.79

I run Edit Find, I enter

79

as 'Find what', I change 'Look in' to Values, ***AND*** I check 'Match
entire cell contents', then I click Find All, and Excel shows the *ONLY*
match as cell A4, the only one that contains just 79.

If when you say 79.00, you're referring to how the cell value APPEARS, then
if there's truly no fractional part, its VALUE will be just 79. However, if
there were a fractional part so that the number were either

78.9999999999997

or

79.0000000000001

but just appears as 79.00, then you'd also need to use the Format option,
selecting the same format as used in the cells you want to find (so you'd
need to ensure they're all formatted the same), ***BUT*** you'd ***STILL***
need to have 'Match entire cell contents' checked. That last bit is the key.