Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\) Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\) is offline

Default Find Numeric data

You said the cells are formatted for 2 decimal places, parentheses for
negative values and thousands separators.... you did this using Format
Cells, right? If so, in Edit/Find, set Look In for Values, do **not** check
mark either match option but click the Format button and choose the same
cell formatting options you used on the cells originally. Typing 79.00 in
the Find What field and repeatedly clicking the Find Next button should take
you to the cells you want.

Rick

"RobWN" wrote in message
I shouldn't post when I'm tired!
Sorry for the confusion and thanks.
Using xl'03
Yes - using the EditFind command
I have already tried what you suggest but it didn't work.

I have a column of cells containing dollar amounts, formatted, as I
mentioned, as Numbers, two decimal places with a "," thousands separator.
In this column are cells such as 79.00, (79.00), 1,079.00, 179.00
etc.etc..

With the "Look In" parameter set as "Values";
If I use a search argument of 79.00 - I get all occurrences of the value
(all the above examples).
If simply 79 is used it gets hits on any occurrence of 79 (100.79-for ex)
In either case, if I match entire contents - I get nothing.

I assume therefore that this is a straight character search and to do what
I want I'd have to write my own search routine.

Anyway, thanks for your interest and your reminder to be precise.
--
Regards
Rob
"Harlan Grove" wrote in message
"RobWN" wrote...
I know I can write a function to do it but what I was really asking is
there anything I can do with the built in "Find" function.

You're using ambiguous (or just plain wrong) terminology. You seem to
mean the Edit Find command. Yes, at least in Excel 2003 and presumably
2007 and maybe in earlier versions, but it requires using options.
Specifically, to find the integer numeric value 79, you need to change
the 'Look in' option to Values, you need to check 'Match entire cell
contents', and you need to enter 79 (no sign character, no decimal point
or deciman places) as 'Find what'.