JulieD

you're welcome

"Louise" wrote in message
That's confirmed it then! Thanks very much.

Louise

"JulieD" wrote:

Hi Louise

your colleague is correct, if you use the fourth parameter of FALSE or 0
then the VLOOKUP table does NOT have to be sorted ascending on the
left-most
column and you're looking for an EXACT match. If you put TRUE, 1 or
leave
the fourth parameter Blank then you're looking for an APPROXIMATE match
and
to get an anywhere near sensible answer the VLOOKUP table does need to be
sorted

Cheers
JulieD

"Louise" wrote in message
hi all

Quick question - or at least I Hope it is!!

When using a VLookUp table, does the lookup table itself have to be
sorted
by the left-hand column in order for the formulas to work?

I thought it did, however, one of my colleagues informs me that if you
put
'FALSE' as the last value in the lookup, the table doesn't have to be
sorted
at all.

Hope this makes sense.

Any help would be appreciated.