Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier[_3_] Roger Govier[_3_] is offline

Default Help dealing with a fiscal year rather than a calendar year

Hi

You could insert a named value
InsertNameDefineName Fyear Refers to
=YEAR(Sheet1!$O1)+(MONTH(Sheet1!$O1)6)

This will set the value of Fyear to 2007 for date 01 Jun 2007 or 2008 for 01
Jul 2007 i.e the fyear refers to the financial year ending date.
If you wanted it to refer to the beginning date, then either subtract 1 from
the formula or use
=YEAR(Sheet1!$O1)-(MONTH(Sheet1!$O1)<7)

Now, in your formula just substitute Fyear
=IF(Fyear+$AA2=AC$1,ABS(FV($AB2,$AA2,0,$S2,1)),0)

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Tyler" wrote in message
Hello,
I am trying to get my mind around how to project a future cost of
replacing
a piece of capital equipment. I can do it for a calendar year but since
we
are on a July to June year the costs may or may not fall into the correct
year heading. Here is where I am so far:
=IF(YEAR($O2)+$AA2=AC$1,ABS(FV($AB2,$AA2,0,$S2,1)) ,0)
with: O2 being the purchase date of the original capital equipment
AA2 being the useful life or time in years before we need to replace the
capital equipment.
AC1 being a year or fiscal year column ie. 2007, 2008,.... where the
replacement cost of the capital equipment would calculate
AB2 being the cost inflator ie. 1.5%
S2 being the cost of the equipment when originally pruchased.

As always thanks for your help.