Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
KKay KKay is offline

Default Least Squares Regression ST. Dev.

Thanks Stan - appreciate the response - actually in this case that is the
mean. And I've tried the general average and st. dev. functions in excel.
Wouldn't have asked the ? w/o rotting my own brain diving into the help
section first. ;o) ugh.

I've asked my ? on some math forums, hopefully they can help with it. Excel
just may not be able to do with without major human tweeking. Thanks tho!
Love this site, use it all the time.

My problem is that i have to normalize the data from other data to get the
st. dev. and my other problem...i'm in excel 2000. I kept getting errors
with the steyx.

"Stan Brown" wrote:

Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:46:00 -0700 from Kris@CEC
:
I created a graph and then a trendline to get the slope of the line and then
used m to determine another value which would be constant for all data in
that data set (least squares regression). HOWEVER, I also have to find the
mean and st. dev. for this data. I know the mean is obviously the same at
the constant,

What you "know" is not true. The mean is generally not equal to the y
intercept.

but what is the standard deviation

See the AVERAGE and STDEV functions.

--
"First prove what you're saying, then whine about it."
-- /The People's Court/