Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Earl Kiosterud Earl Kiosterud is offline

Default does ctrl f select cells randomly?

tc,

I think it searches by rows by default, meaning it starts the search at the active cell,
going across the row to the right, then the next row down, left to right, etc. This means
it won't find a cell to the left or above the active cell until it's gotten to the bottom of
the used range and looped around to the top.

To change it to search by columns instead of rows, click the "Options" button in the Find
dialog. If you've changed the option, it will apply the next time you start the search
(Ctrl-f).

If you do a lot of this, and want to avoid having to check and set all this stuff, you might
want to record a macro that sets the active cell where you want to start the search, sets it
to row or column, etc.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

Note: Top-posting has been the norm here.
Some folks prefer bottom-posting.
But if you bottom-post to a reply that's
already top-posted, the thread gets messy.
When in Rome...
"tc" wrote in message
I am doing statistical analysis and as part of explaining my research
methodology I have to clarify my sampling method. I selected my sample from a
large spreadsheet by using the ctrl f tool to look for care homes within
different geographical areas. the first home that came up for that area i
selected and entered into my sample. My supervisor is asking whether this was
random sampling ie how does ctrl f come up with its selection? alphabetically
or the first one it comes across in that spreadsheet or by some other
method? Can anyone help?
Thanks