Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
lilleke lilleke is offline

Default prevent copied blank cells from replacing existing data

bj - thanks for your formula so quickly but Excel 2000 says there was an
error - here is what I did - see what I did wrong, please.

your 1st sentence says 'use a helper col in sheet one (c?)' - my sheet 1 is
the database so i inserted a sheet before it - yes? and entered your formula
in (c) of sheet1 yes/no?

you said copy and past down to the end of your data - do you mean go to
sheet2 and copy the 2 col's with owner name and fin ofcr name? Bring to
sheet1 and paste in col C?

select col C - I get this
copy - I get
select col B paste special values, delete col c - I get.

Please clarify.
thanking you in advance.

--
claudia

"bj" wrote:

use a helper column in shhet one (c?)
in c1 enter
=if(iserror(vlookup(a1,Sheet2!A:B,2,0),b1,vlookup( A1,sheet2!A:B,2,0))
copy and paste down to the end of your data.
select column C
copy
select column B paste special values, delete column c

"lilleke" wrote:

Excel 2000 - this is under help - keyword-null and doesn't work and I need it
to work or am I reading wrong?

I hv 2 databases w 2 col 1 for owner name and 1 for financial ofcr name

I need to cut/paste fin ofcr name into owner name cell if there is a
financial officer name because I would rather mailer go to fin ofcr. There
isn't always name in fin ofcr col. I scroll until I find fin ofcr name,
cut/paste to col to the left and overwrite the owner's name with fin ofcr
name. about 10 fin ofcr names per visable screen.

Painful on mouse hand.

I want to highlight maybe whole fin ofcr col or at least visable page
cut/paste and overlay col to left with fin ofc name but not make other cells
blank. currently when I do this fin ofcr name is pasted and all other blank
cells are pasted as blanks also.

If copied blank cell overlays not blank cell I want blank cell not copied.
Please help.
--
claudia