Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kris@CEC Kris@CEC is offline

Default Least Squares Regression ST. Dev.

Sorry, let me explain mo
I have 2 sets of data, A and R (which involves 9 data points- 3 points in
three different intensities). I plot A on the y-axis and B on the x-axis.
Then I make a trend line from the graph. From that line, I take m (the slope
of the line) and use it in an equation that involves both A and R (A is
substituted for m in the equation). From that I get the value of C. C is
the same for all data points, say 0.5. The mean of 9 points of 0.5 is 0.5 -
HOWEVER, the standard deviation for each point is different. I am very
familiar with the standard deviation function and use it on all the other
data sets just fine. How do you get the standard deviation using least
squares regression? I guess that more directly asks my question - sorry to
confuse.

So what i will end up doing is finding the standard deviation of C for each
of these three intensities. Thanks

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

If your data is in B1 thru B100, use:

=STDEV(B1:B100)
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200738

"Kris@CEC" wrote:

I created a graph and then a trendline to get the slope of the line and then
used m to determine another value which would be constant for all data in
that data set (least squares regression). HOWEVER, I also have to find the
mean and st. dev. for this data. I know the mean is obviously the same at
the constant, but what is the standard deviation and how do i calculate that
off the chart (I'm assuming i do since it seems my only option as i'll always
get 0 in the numerator in the st. dev. function).