Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
carrera carrera is offline

Default dumb macro question

Don Guillett wrote "Good luck in getting a lot more help around here."

My, you think a lot of yourself, don't you?

I guess it would be much too hard for me or someone else you've taken a
dislike towards to figure out how to come in under a different user name.

How would the world function without you and Gord?

I hope we never have to find out.

pompous ass.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Gord. Are you OK? Or, just getting milder in your old age.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

We are all volunteers here and your comments about the quality and methods
of my
attempts to assist show a bit of impatience on your part.

My time is mine and how I allocate it is up to me.

Got that off my chest.............now to answer.

When you click on ToolsMacroRecord New Macro a dialog will open.

In that dialog is a "Store Macro In"

Select This Workbook then record the macro.

Send the workbook to your users.

They can change the name and your macro(s) will still work.

"hard-coded" means a reference in your macro to a specific filename or
sheetname
which could get changed.

In that case, the macro would error out.

Gord

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 07:54:04 -0700, carrera

wrote:

As I explained in my last response, I'm not knowledgeable with writing
code
for macros....so I don't know what you mean by a "hard coded" file name.

I understand you are an MVP and quite knowledgeable, but it doesn't really
help to say "See in-line....." when part of what you said is not something
I'm familiar with.

I feel my last question was slightly different from my first, as far as
the
people I will be sending this to changing the name.

I don't feel it would take that much more of your time to answer that
specifically, rather than referring me back to an answer I didn't fully
understand.
Thanks in Advance for answering the question I just asked...

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

See in-line........

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 07:10:01 -0700, carrera

wrote:

Thanks for all your answers, but most of it was over my head.

I don't know how to write a macro, I just record them.

When recording you have the choice of which workbook to record
to..............This Workbook or Personal Macro Workbook or New Workbook

In this case, I'll have a password protected workbook, and the macro
will
delete the contents of the unlocked cells, as the users will be using
it as a
form, which they send to me weekly.

Note: protecting the workbook will not lock cells.

You must protect the worksheet with the cells in question formatted as
"unlocked"

I have no control over their renaming the file.

Should not matter if they change the name if it is not hard-coded in the
macro.

The people who will be filling in the unlocked cells do not often sit
down
at a computer, and I'm trying to make it as easy for them as possible.

From what I'm getting here, I should save the macro to just that
workbook?

I would say yes.

Gord

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

And just to add to both Don and Gord's reply (again).

The reason you don't want to call the workbook you share with others
"personal.xls" is that if those users have any macros, they could
have used that
name.

And excel will only allow one workbook with that name open at any one
time. You
wouldn't want them to have to make a choice--or irritate them by
having to close
their workbook before they could open yours.

carrera wrote:

If I record a macro and save it in Personal macros, will it still
work if I
email the file to another person? I am going to make it that the
macro works
when they click a picture on the worksheet itself.

What if I save the macro in that file and email it to
someone....they will
be changing the name of the file, will that disable the macro?

--

Dave Peterson