Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
carrera carrera is offline

Default dumb macro question

Thanks for all your answers, but most of it was over my head.

I don't know how to write a macro, I just record them.

In this case, I'll have a password protected workbook, and the macro will
delete the contents of the unlocked cells, as the users will be using it as a
form, which they send to me weekly.

I have no control over their renaming the file.

The people who will be filling in the unlocked cells do not often sit down
at a computer, and I'm trying to make it as easy for them as possible.

From what I'm getting here, I should save the macro to just that workbook?

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

And just to add to both Don and Gord's reply (again).

The reason you don't want to call the workbook you share with others
"personal.xls" is that if those users have any macros, they could have used that
name.

And excel will only allow one workbook with that name open at any one time. You
wouldn't want them to have to make a choice--or irritate them by having to close
their workbook before they could open yours.

carrera wrote:

If I record a macro and save it in Personal macros, will it still work if I
email the file to another person? I am going to make it that the macro works
when they click a picture on the worksheet itself.

What if I save the macro in that file and email it to someone....they will
be changing the name of the file, will that disable the macro?

--

Dave Peterson