Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Patrick Lee Patrick Lee is offline

Default 3d line charts cause Excel 2007 to crash

Jon is no doubt experienced in many aspects of Excel since he is an MVP, but
his comments so far (ie using 2D clustered column or 2d line graphs) have not
addressed the issues I have raised. Rather than saying there are ways of
showing 3 or more dimensional data without using 3D charts (but without, so
far at least showing anything that is better than a 3D chart), wouldn't it be
more constructive to address the issue, which is that since 3D charts ARE
part of Excel 2007 but currently cause it to freeze, it would be good if
Microsoft fixed this in the next Service Pack or earlier?
(Incidentally, I did not suggest that 3d bar charts were useful, the title
of this post is about 3d LINE charts not bar charts.)

"Del Cotter" wrote:

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Patrick Lee said:
I'm afraid that comment is of no value to me: in the real world there are
more than 2 dimensions

In the real world of data, there are more than *three* dimensions. If
you need a spatial metaphor to represent a dimension, you're screwed the
first time you encounter a data set with four dimensions or more.

Experienced consultants like Jon can render for their clients four or
more dimensions on a two-dimensional piece of paper, with greater
clarity and punch than anyone can achieve with a "3D" Excel bar chart.

--
Del Cotter