Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Tevuna Tevuna is offline

Default extracting data to the right of a set character

I assume that the "y" arn't really "y". So use this:

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("*",SUBSTITUTE(A1,".","*",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,".","")))))

"Tevuna" wrote:

=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"y",""),".","")
or
=SUBSTITUTE(A1,"y","")
The second doesn't remvoe dots

" wrote:

I would like to know if there is a way to isolate the characters to
the right of a set of characters in a string.
I know the basics on how to use the LEN, MID, RIGHT and LEFT functions
but the problem I have is that the character is a full stop and for
some of the data, the full stop occurs more than just once, otherwise
it would be quite simple.

For instance a string could be as follows: -

yyy.yyyy.yyyyyyy.yy.y.yyy.xxx

where I need to capture the xxx and the xxx could be between 2 and 5
characters long.

I have tried all sorts of ways with modified code from postings on the
Group but to no avail.

Help much appreciated.

Mark.