Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Carl Carl is offline

Default Finding Nearest and Furthest Date

Thanks Again Bob.

I did not explain my problem very well.

The new table

DateMax DateMin
SPY 10-Dec 7-Oct
OIH 9-Jan 7-Aug

For the formula in B2. I need it to look at A2 and find the cooresponding
Max or Min Date in the data table. I tried your formula but could not get it
to return the correct values.

Here's the data table again:

Stock Date
SPY 7-Oct
SPY 7-Dec
SPY 10-Dec
OIH 7-Aug
OIH 9-Jan

Thanks Again.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=MIN(IF(B2:B20<TODAY(),B2:B20))

HTHwhich is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter,
not just Enter.
Excel will automatically enclose the formula in braces (curly brackets), do
not try to do this manually.
When editing the formula, it must again be array-entered.

and similar for MAX

=MAX(IF(B2:B20TODAY(),B2:B20))

--
---

Bob

"carl" wrote in message
My data table is like so. My date format is YY/M

Today 7-Aug

Stock Date
SPY 7-Oct
SPY 7-Dec
SPY 10-Dec
OIH 7-Aug
OIH 9-Jan

Trying to create this table. Basically I am trying to find the date in the
data table that is the closest and furthest away from today's date.

DateMax DateMin
SPY 10-Dec 7-Oct
OIH 9-Jan 7-Aug

Thank you in advance.