Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Danny[_2_] Danny[_2_] is offline

Default data validation

On Aug 19, 9:33 am, Debra Dalgleish wrote:
Put the data validation on the cells where the values are entered. For
example, if the 1,2,3 are in cell A1:A3, and the total is in A4:

Select A1:A3
Choose DataValidation
For Allow, choose Custom
In the formula box enter: =$A$3=6
Click OK

Danny wrote:
I would like to know if it is possible to use data validation on a
field that is summing/totalling data. IE total 1+2+3=6. is it
possible in the total field to use data validation so if the total
is not equal to 6 then error?

I have tried this by establishing sum field totalling a1...a5 in A6
field, but when I go into input data into a1..a5 and it totals the
data validation on A6 doesn't provide an error message?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextureshttp://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Thanks for the help. Custom allows me to do the following =A1:A30 so
if the total in A4 is less than 0 then it works. Thanks for showing
me custom