Dave Peterson

Are you sure the filename includes the .xls extension?

If it really doesn't, how are you opening the workbook?

If the name of the file is: xxx.XLT (with a T), then the file is a template
file.

If you are opening a *.xlt file in windows explorer, then windows figures that
you want to use this template file to create a new workbook.

====

If the file is really named *.xls, then maybe windows is using the wrong action
(New instead of Open) to process the request.

If that's the case, then maybe reregistering excel would fix this:

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

(You can change this action manually, but I think this is quicker/safer. Post
back if you tried this and it didn't help.)

hammfamily wrote:

Whenever I open any Excel file, Excel automatically puts a 1 at the end of
the filename. So for instance I'm trying to open xxx.xls I get xxx1.xls. And
I have noticed that since this started happening I only get the "save as"
option when I go to save the file.
What could be causing this?

--

Dave Peterson