Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T1 Red Alarm T1 Red Alarm is offline

Default Command line switches - possible

Well, it looks like a date, and there is no other characeters, but its not
recgnoized as a date. It's left justified, and when sorting, it sorts as
text - 01/01/07 before 03/03/06. and selected the cells and setting format
as text has no effect.

"Duke Carey" wrote:

What do you mean, specifically, by "I can't convert." What's the format of
the text -Excel cannot almost certainly recognize it and convert it to a
datevalue.

"T1 Red Alarm" wrote:

I get a file exported from an AS400 into excel, but it exports as excel 2.1,
and all the dates come over as text, and I can't convert. I have to save as
a tab delimited file, then import to excel (2003), which corrects the problem.

Is there a command line excel function to open a .txt file and then save as
excel without haveing to manually launch the application?