Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin Kevin is offline

Default Curious about "$" in formulas

Pete_UK
Thanks Pete. I've copied your information to a file for future reference.
Thanks again.
-Kevin

"Pete_UK" wrote in message
oups.com...
By putting a $ symbol in front of cell references, you convert the
reference from a relative address to an absolute address, which means
that when you copy a formula in a cell which contains absolute
references it will not change. If effectively fixes the row or column
part (or both) of the cell reference. You can have:

A1 - relative address, gets changed when copied across or down
$A1 - fixed column address, only the 1 changes when copied down, $A
remains the same when copied across
A$1 - fixed row address, only the A changes when copied across, $1
remains the same when copied down
$A$1 - full absolute address, neither part changes when copied across
or down.

Look in Excel Help for Relative/Absolute references for more details.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Aug 16, 3:56 pm, "Kevin" wrote:
Dear NG:

I'm curious about the purpose of the "$" in formulas when referring to
cells.
For example Sheet1!$A$1
I couldn't find anything about it in Excel or VBA help.
Are there advantages or disadvantages to using the "$"?
Should it be used always or are there times when it should not be used?
Just curious.

Thanks,
-Kevin