Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mjones mjones is offline

Default Help Sorting Outline Numbers

All your comments have helped me to sort this out. Thanks!

In general format, the cells look like:
1
1.01
2
2.01
2.02
2.021
6
6.06
6.061

When formatted as #0.00.00, they look like:

1.00.00
1.01.00
2.00.00
2.01.00
2.02.00
2.02.10
6.00.00
6.06.00
6.06.10

And, yes they sort properly.

Thanks so much everyone. Another successful remedy!

Michele

On Aug 16, 8:56 pm, bj wrote:
what do the numbers look like when you format them as general.
check if you entered the 2.1.0 as 2.1. and the 6.6.1 as 6.6.1

the entry format needs to be 2.1 and 6.61

"mjones" wrote:
Hi All,

My spreadsheet has 9 columns where each row is an item. My items are
numbered in column A like this:

1.0.0
1.1.0
2.0.0
2.1.0
6.0.0
6.6.0
6.6.1

When I sort the data by column A, I get this incorrect sort:

1.0.0
1.1.0
2.0.0
6.0.0
6.6.0
2.1.0
6.6.1

The cells are formated as 0.0#.0#

I'm using the auto filter sort, but it comes out the same with a
regular sort.

I hope someone can help solve this problem.

Thanks,

Michele- Hide quoted text -