Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Formatting Cell that Contains If/Then Formula

What's in E17? Are you sure it's numeric?

If you put this formula in an empty cell:
=isnumber(e17)
what is returned?

If that formula returns False, then E17 is not a number. That means that the
number formatting won't do anything. I'd change the value in E17 to a real
number (format E17 as general and retype the entry).

I'd also use this formula:
=IF(A1=0,"",IF(E170,+E17,0))

I don't like cells with " " (a space character) or a text 0 ("0") in them.

Janna wrote:

I have a cell with the following formula:

=IF(A1=0," ",IF(E170,+E17,"0"))

I'd like to format the cell with a Currency symbol, but can't seem to figure
out how to do so. As long as the above formula is in the cell, the number
displays without the currency symbol, even though I've formatted it as
currency by going to format cells, number, currency.

If I remove the above formula and just type a simple formula like =A1*A2
the number is formatted correctly with the currency symbol.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks

--

Dave Peterson