Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Using the mode function

I forgot to include something in my reply:

Try this array formula**.

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)

Another possible option is to sort your range of numbers in descending order
then the normal formula would work:

=MODE(range)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"T. Valko" wrote in message
MODE returns the *first* mode of the range. For example:

200
200
201
201

MODE = 200

201
201
200
200

MODE = 201

Try this array formula**. I'm assuming there is at least one mode:

=MAX(IF(COUNTIF(A1:A10,A1:A10)=MAX(COUNTIF(A1:A10, A1:A10)),A1:A10))

If there is no mode the above formula will still return a value. You can
add a test that returns a blank (or whatever you want) if there is no
mode:

=IF(ISNA(MODE(A1:A10)),"",MAX(IF(COUNTIF(A1:A10,A1 :A10)=MAX(COUNTIF(A1:A10,A1:A10)),A1:A10)))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Detra E." wrote in message
I have a group of numbers that I am trying to find the the mode of using
the
mode function. When I have multiple mode i.e 200 shows twice and 201
shows
twice the standard function returns the lower of the two modes and I want
it
to return the higher of the two modes. Is there anyone who can help me
figure
this out.
--
Detra (Thanks)