MacNut

Excellent! So that was what I was doing wrong, I wasn't using the WHOLE SHEET
as a reference - i was just using the column that it was in. I also needed
to make sure EmpNames was the first column as well. Thanks so much for all
your help!

MN

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Table array should be the whole table that you are referring across to, all
rows, and all columns, and the first column should be the empnames that you
are comparing against. Oh, don't forget to include the sheet name. SO all it
should look something like

=VLOOKUP(A1,'Sheet name'!$A$1:$H$20,2,FALSE)

--

HTH

RP

"MacNut" wrote in message
Thanks for your response. Yes, I did do that. I put the number of that
particular column that houses that data i'm after. I also put "false" at

the
end as well....still getting either a N/A error! What else am I doing

wrong?
For Table_Array do I need to select the entire spreadsheet range or just

the
particular column i'm matching up lookup_value to?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

col-index is not the number of columns, but rather the column index that

you
are interested in. So if the lookup table is of the format empnames,
fullname, age, sex, etc, and you want fullname then col_index would be

2.
Also lookup is set to false if you want an exact match.

--

HTH

RP

"MacNut" wrote in message

I'm trying to lookup a certain column of data in another spreadsheet

based
on values that match (empnames) in both spreadsheets, and put those

values
into my master spreadsheet I have. The syntax:
VLOOKUP(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,ran ge_lookup)

I assume that "lookup_value" is that first column in the master
spreadsheet
(empnames); table_array is the column that houses the values that is

in
the
other spreadsheet that I want in the Master one; col_index_num is the
number
of the column that houses that data. Is this correct? I'm getting an
error
saying "#N/A" What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
MN